MOBILE PHONE/ELECTRONIC DEVICES PROTOCOL
To ensure that Telopea Park School/Lycée franco-australien de Canberra provides a safe environment for all members of the school community, students must know their rights and responsibilities in regard to cyber safety, and are expected to comply with the school’s Mobile Phone/Electronic Device Protocol.
The following protocol is consistent with the Mobile Phone Policy of the ACT Educational and Training Directorate , laws concerning harassment, threats and defamation and guidelines relating to cyber safety . It is also consistent with the school’s values of cooperation, fairness, honesty and respect.
Mobile phones and other electronic devices which are brought to school must be used strictly within the following protocol/guidelines:
- For secondary students: Mobile phones/electronic devices can only be used before school, during recess and lunchtime, and after school. They cannot be used inside school buildings.
For Primary students: Mobile phones/devices cannot be used during school hours.
- All mobile phones/electronic devices must be switched off, and out of sight, while in the buildings, including toilets and change rooms.
- Mobile phones/electronic devices cannot be used to violate another person’s right to privacy.
- Students must take responsibility for all electronic devices brought to school. The school accepts no responsibility in the event of the loss or theft of, or damage to, any mobile phone/electronic device.
- If a mobile phone/electronic device is brought to school, the student must accept responsibility for adhering strictly to the above protocol and for the safety of his/her mobile phone/electronic device.
- If the mobile phone/electronic device is used contrary to the above protocol it is understood that the student will be sent to Room A3/Primary Deputy Principal where the mobile phone/electronic device will be confiscated until 3.15pm or collected by a parent/carer on request. Other follow up action may include:
- Interview with parent
- Banning student from use of mobile phone/electronic device at school
- Suspension from school
- Police involvement
The school has zero tolerance to all forms of bullying, including cyber bullying.
It is therefore understood that the mobile phone/electronic device will NOT be used to intimidate, harass or bully another member of the school community.
http://www.aic.gov.au/en/crime_types/cybercrime.aspx Australian Institue of Criminology
http://www.cybersmart.gov.au/Teens/My%20mobile.aspx Cyber Smart tip